Winter Heating Tips
Today we will look at how to manage one of crops’ biggest killers: Winter. The season can be extremely cold, frosty and icy and only a small minority of plants can stand up to this without some help. We will now look at a list of how to prevent your precious plants becoming frostbitten and dying:
- Position plants for full winter sun.
- Concrete floor or pavers to act as a nighttime heat store after being warmed up by the sun during the day. Ensure that before you concrete your glasshouse or greenhouse floor to put several layers of black plastic underneath the concrete to trap the heat.
- 400 mm high stack of pavers in each glasshouse or greenhouse corner (The corner is where cold can penetrate from two sides).
The following options require either solar panel battery or connection to household power:
- Propagator heat pads are used for seedlings
- Autopot heated cap plus table. Contact us for information regarding this.
- Install underfloor bathroom heat pads onto concrete or pavers over the top. Connect to thermostat. 700W powers a small glasshouse to keep the chill and frost and suchlike at bay.